Monday 7 April 2008

Earthwards

I didn't see any announcements in the papers about this one. And I don't think Emirates announced it. Getting to the airport today, I notice a leaflet that says Silver Skywards members can no longer invite a colleague or other person to join them in the business lounge. The 'privilege' will be 'temporarily suspended'.

Why? Because "given the exceptional growth of Emirates Airline, our existing lounge facilities are not able to accommodate the current volume of visitors."

Well, it's nice to see EK confirming what most of us have known for months already - that the current lounge is totally unable to cope with the volume of users, particularly at busy times like the 7-8am rush - being confirmed. Wiser heads know to nip next door and use the DCA lounge.

But the answer, surely, is to expand the facility, by hook or by crook - not to simply fail to provide people with something that you have undertaken to give them. That's just reneging on the deal. That's really bad for the brand - particularly given a frequent flyer programme asks people to make a significant investment in their relationship to that brand.

And to first tell them at the check-in? That's just poor communications.

8 comments:

redstar said...

Given the quality of their lounges elsewhere it's amazing that the Skywards lounge is so awful. I expect there's little point expanding it as the new terminal is doubtless 'nearly' ready. Personally I use the Marhaba lounge as I have an AMEX card. Closer to the gates I tend to use and not full of people sleeping on the floor and smoking everywhere.

i*maginate said...

I smell a pitch opportunity for Mr. McNabb...

Alexander said...

I* - I'd jump at the chance, given it. But I rather think that it'd be a cold day in hell before the mighty Skywards would ever consider listening to me as either a customer or a communications counsel...

Anonymous said...

Ah, EK and Skywards a victim of their own successes. Fly Etihad from AUH - simpler, quicker, cheaper. Oh, and that is not because the national carrier happens to be a client... ;-)

BTW, has anyone else noticed that EK has also raised the bar this year for each tier? It's now 40 sectors or 50k tier miles. Of course, that hike won't make much difference to us bona fide Gold card carriers. It's a disease, I tell thee.

i*maginate said...

Greetings from the Dubai, Sir.

I sawed ure bost this 1 in gUlf News?!!!

I wanna to say u very good wratar for engleesh.

U mak me tooooo habby!

i*maginate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alexander said...

Zis bost for Gulf News, aiwa. But also they take from you blog too much!

i*maginate said...

Birdz of the feathars

HE MAK BLOG TOGATHAR! ;-)

p.s. I just discovered 'dubai media observer' blog - it's like a media gossip blog - cool! Why does everyone comment anonymously, though? Hardly any random blogger IDs on there, either. Wonder why...

Big sister, she is watching? lol

From The Dungeons

Book Marketing And McNabb's Theory Of Multitouch

(Photo credit: Wikipedia ) I clearly want to tell the world about A Decent Bomber . This is perfectly natural, it's my latest...