Thursday 15 July 2010

Pumped

Petrol PricesImage via Wikipedia
The rise in petrol prices that came into force at midnight last night means that my Pajero now costs Dhs100 to fill up. Two years ago, it cost Dhs70.

Given the fact that we still pay roughly per gallon what the UK consumer pays per litre, I can tell that any outbreak of sympathy for those affected is going to be very localised and immeasurably brief. But the move meant that the queue at my local ADNOC station last night backed up into the street, the usual amount of chaos and mayhem resulting.

Having lived through the days of petrol rationing in the UK during the 1970s, I was struck by the irony of queues in the 'Arab Street' as people tried to fill up with cheap petrol before the rise came into force. I can remember as a kid when petrol prices shot up to, gasp, over a pound per gallon. My dad used to drive around for miles trying to find cheaper petrol from garages that were still supplying at the old price. I'd point out to him that he'd burn any savings in the petrol he was using to try and find the lower prices.


I'm going on leave soon. One of my small and wicked little pleasures when going on leave is to strike up conversations with London cabbies about the price of petrol in the UAE. They really don't like it. This time I've got the ideal excuse, too: I can complain about the huge price rises and wait for them to sympathetically ask how much I have to pay for petrol before I tell them that we're getting gouged for something like 30p per litre.

It's an ill wind that blows no good...
Enhanced by Zemanta

6 comments:

EyeOnDubai said...

You're a bad man, McNabb! But I'm as guilty - phoned my wife in the UK first time I ever filled up a Jeep here. There, a tankful was costing us nearly 80 quid. Here, under a tenner...

Unknown said...

I think they should raise the price to UK levels. Would have a number of beneficial effects. Reduced traffic everywhere (not just SZR). Reduced emissions by people not buying 4x4 anymore. Less air pollution outside schools as selfish mothers may think twice about leaving their motor running for 15mins while they go in to pick up their beloved and stop for a chat with other mothers who have also left their motor running. Huge new revenue stream for state. Maybe fewer accidents as people are more delicate with their right foot in cars unsuitable for high speed (ie all 4x4 with exception of X5).

Grumpy Goat said...

I remember my father running out of petrol because he refused to pay 75p a gallon, believing that somewhere it was 73p.

It was a while ago.

Jayne said...

We're paying approximately Dh4 per litre for diesel (I drive a diesel car) but along with regular increases, we're 'lucky' in that the government also reduces the price several times per year. Last week fuel prices came down around 9fils a litre. It's still expensive compared to the Sandpit, but it's quite a psychological boost knowing the price will come down :-)

Terry said...

Move to Iraq, and pay three US cents a litre …

rosh said...

Dhs 15 a gallon, plus tolls, plus taxes, first born and tolls again!

That's what I pay and expect to pay, to move about town.

Did I mention the baby elephant sized pot holes?

From The Dungeons

Book Marketing And McNabb's Theory Of Multitouch

(Photo credit: Wikipedia ) I clearly want to tell the world about A Decent Bomber . This is perfectly natural, it's my latest...