Friday 9 November 2012

Book Post: Launching Beirut - An Explosive Thriller


The Middle East print edition of Beirut - An Explosive Thriller will be launched on December 1st 2012 at Jashanmal's book store, Mall of the Emirates at 7pm.

I'll be joined by friends - and friends of friends - and it should be a load of fun. I've been toying with the idea of readings as performances. Book readings are often dry things, all polite listening and stumbling renditions of pieces of text. I wanted to see what would happen if I gave up my book into the hands of performers. So the event will feature performances from a rapper, a poet, an actress and a well-known, larger than life figure. Each one will interpret what they're reading as they see fit, perform it as they see fit. It should be compelling stuff...

The cover is pictured above. If the spine seems a little wide, that's because the Beirut - An Explosive thriller Middle East edition is in standard 'thriller' format - 11x17.5 cm and is a whopping 456 pages long. Olives followed the larger 5x8 format dictated by POD machines. The Middle East Beirut has been reformatted - I might add lovingly - to a more attractive size.

I'll share more details next week as my ducks line up. In the meantime, I'm doing a workshop for UAE educationalists in RAK later this month on narrative in Arab culture and guesting on blogs like a blogpost guesting fiend.

1 comment:

Mita said...

You going to do a Twtvite for this? I'm old - I need it on my calendar for me to remember....

From The Dungeons

Book Marketing And McNabb's Theory Of Multitouch

(Photo credit: Wikipedia ) I clearly want to tell the world about A Decent Bomber . This is perfectly natural, it's my latest...