Saturday 14 May 2011

Hot Buns


I know, I have the sense of humour of a particularly puerile eight year old,  but this one did tickle me. We checked out the staff, but sadly the place doesn't do what it says on the box.

This was a slightly nervy snap as the shop is just on the edge of what is now the second security check point on the road from Dubai to Hatta - the road has always passed through the little Omani enclave of Wilayat Madha but now the rabbit-proof fence has been expanded to full covered road blocks either side of the enclave staffed by UAE military who check IDs as you pass through - so do have your passport or National ID ready. Yes, they do accept the National ID and yes, it is a use for that otherwise untroubled piece of plastic.

The UAE soldiers were generally a cheery bunch as I have invariably found them to be and readily shared a laugh over the new arrangements. But soldiers and cameras (let alone mobile cameras) never make easy bedfellows.

We had a glorious 'it's tough in the Gulf' stay at the Hatta Fort Hotel, as always. The Ramoul Bar, a brown velour and walnut museum piece from the '70s, remains one of my favourite places in the Middle East. If you're going to do a cocktail bar, do it right I always say...

1 comment:

Christopher Saul said...

We drove past here yesterday too, on the way back from a quick trip to Hatta Pools. I didn't dare get the camera out - we also had a joke with the soldiers. When the sergeant saw Mrs Saul's camera on the back seat he told us that 'camera is too much broblem from army man!'.

From The Dungeons

Book Marketing And McNabb's Theory Of Multitouch

(Photo credit: Wikipedia ) I clearly want to tell the world about A Decent Bomber . This is perfectly natural, it's my latest...