Friday 17 January 2014

Book Post: Shemlan's First Outing

I'm going to be meeting the Twitter Book Club (@TwitBookClub or twitbookclub.org) tomorrow to talk about Shemlan: A Deadly Tragedy. It'll be the first time I meet people who've read it who aren't close friends, family or beta readers.

I'm a tad apprehensive, tell the truth. Readers are a funny lot and their perceptions, thoughts and questions never fail to have me rethinking things from a totally different perspective. I suppose I'm lucky in that so far (touch wood) people have generally played nicely, even my protesters have been gentle in their remonstration.

I'm not expecting any protests about Shemlan, although I can't say I was necessarily expecting the controversies of Olives. The book was championed in the year's first edition of Dubai Eye Radio's 'Talking of Books' earlier this month, which was all very nice (the podcast is linked here for your listening pleasure) and the genteel members of the TOB team seem to have enjoyed the read. It'll be interesting to find out what the booky twits all made of it.

If you want to come along tomorrow, I'm assured you're more than welcome. I'll have a couple of copies of Shemlan with me if anyone wants to buy 'em, too! The TwitBookClub meets at 11am Saturday the 18th January (and every third Saturday each month) at Coffeol Emaar Boulevard, Boulevard Plaza, Tower 1, Ground Floor - here's a handy map. There's even 50% off food and 20% off drinks for book club attendees. Yes, you did hear that right. 50% off! Where are you going? Wait for me! Sorry, Dubai radio ad scriptwritis.

I'll let you know how it all goes... In the meantime, if you want to get your own copy, you'll find all the links to buy Shemlan as an ebook or paperback right here.

3 comments:

Dave Edwards said...

Hi:

At my suggestion my wife's book club was going to read Beirut and my wife needed to buy 10 copies. However, she cannot get them anywhere - neither Jashanmal nor Kinokuniya has stock, and MacGrudy's have two copies - one in Abu Dhabi and one in Al Ain. So she'll have to choose something else. A shame.

Alexander said...

Ask her to get in touch with me - leave a comment at alexandermcnabb.com or mail me at alexander at the above address and I'll personally come to her with ten copies.

How's that?

Alexander said...

(the personally wasn't supposed to sound grand. I'm almost too infuriated to type, let alone make sense)...

From The Dungeons

Book Marketing And McNabb's Theory Of Multitouch

(Photo credit: Wikipedia ) I clearly want to tell the world about A Decent Bomber . This is perfectly natural, it's my latest...