Sunday 15 November 2009

Camels

I drive through the desert by Khawaneej early every morning, just as the sun is lighting the sand up, the burnt orange light casting great shadows across the dunes. The cooling weather means that I can wind down the windows and enjoy the fresh early morning air. The area is home to hundreds of camel farms and this morning the warm, grassy smell of camels was unmistakeable on the breeze, a little later joined by a whiff of woodsmoke. It was one of those ‘life is good’ moments, accompanied rather spectacularly by Mr David Grohl and his Fighters of Foo.

4 comments:

Seabee said...

I've always thought that the smell of a place is just about the most important thing, the most evocative. Dubai Creek has its own unique smell too and it just couldn't be anywhere else.

Bush Mechanic said...

I pass by the Municipal Rubbish Tip just before Techno Park daily. It too has an evocative smell, but the imagery is a touch different to yours. True, there is the smoke, but I think medical waste and other decomposing once were things evokes a mid-summer three week dead cow in a paddock.

rosh said...

Nice! Brings back the good stuff from the days of the old. Thanks Alex-man!

KJ said...

Ah! I used to experience that daily on Dubai Bypass road, and see some camels as well!

From The Dungeons

Book Marketing And McNabb's Theory Of Multitouch

(Photo credit: Wikipedia ) I clearly want to tell the world about A Decent Bomber . This is perfectly natural, it's my latest...